Wednesday, February 23, 2011

gay paradigm

No one knows the meaning of paradigm, I was told recently, which is when I realised I don't either. I mean, I think I know what paradigm means but am not sure. So, I reached out for my dictionary (Oxford, of course).



Yes, that's somewhat close to what I thought the meaning was - a paradigm is a framework or an example of something.

It also occurs to me that for the word to make some sense, it should not occur alone but be always teamed with another noun, like this: society's paradigm, Darwinian paradigm, gay paradigm.

Which brings us to gay.
Ten thousand saw I at a glance, Nodding their heads in sprightly dance;
The waves beside them danced, but they...outdid the sparkling waves in glee;
A poet could not but be gay in such a jocund company.

What a gay, happy scene. Sprightly, dancing, nodding, jocund scene. Guaranteed to warm the cockles of a poet's heart. Turn it gay.

And then, there was a paradigm shift in what gaity stood for. Gay no longer means gay. Thanks to a paradigm shift, now gay means gay.

1 comment:

  1. In my home town, there is a general store formerly named "Gay Store". Its signboard stands nameless for last one year. Paradigm shift can rob people of their happiness as well as identity.

    ReplyDelete